Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A Big and Easy Meal

I’m stressed. I have schoolwork, contract work and volunteer work. To make it all worse I also started the South Beach diet yesterday. Yes I am going no carb for two weeks. I’m being ambitious and cutting out sugar and all alcohol for a month. Yes I can make a month, and my birthday cake and champagne on the 18th are going to be even sweeter. So long story short, I’m stressed and hungry.

I find that the food of New Orleans always feels so decadent to me. However, it doesn’t have to be unhealthy. Moreover I know I can omit the rice and have it fit into this diet. And as long as you are a wiz at chopping or have a food processor, it cooks on the stove and doesn’t require a lot of effort.

Creole White Beans, Shrimp and Crawfish

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 Onion
2 ribs of celery
1 red pepper
4 cloves of garlic
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon Cajon seasoning
1 teaspoon parsley
½ teaspoon thyme
salt and pepper
14.5 oz diced tomatoes
½ cup water
6 oz ham, chopped
2 -15 oz cans of white beans
1 lb shrimp
1 lb crawfish tails

Finely chop the vegetables. Sauté them with the olive oil in a large pot on medium high heat. Add the seasoning, tomatoes water and chopped ham. Put the lid on the pot and cook until all of the vegetables are soft and a nice sauce has formed.

Add the beans and seafood. Stir the mixture over medium heat until the seafood is cooked through. Season the stew with salt and pepper to taste and serve.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home